Saturday, July 3, 2010

Adult Milestone: This waiter is trying to screw me!


Last night, I got to experience the adult experience of buying my parents a round of drinks. I had just gotten paid and wanted to purchase a round to show my appreciation and adultliness. So I did, and holy shit, was it ever an expensive show of adultliness but for three drinks, all doubles, it wasn't too bad (41.95).

I paid the bill and we left.

So here's the back story of our waiter: Carlos. I thought his service was decent, considering that he was dealing with a bunch of drunks (one of whom hasn't gotten hip to the "politically correct" jive), but there were some interesting blips on the radar.

-The woman paying the bill ordered a $59 bottle of wine. Good thing she checked it the label before they uncorked it: Carlos had brought a $259 bottle.
-My mother and I elected to split a twice baked potato (cost: $6.95), they brought us a plate of mashed potatoes (cost: $4.95), but charged us for the twice baked.
-I ordered a double rum and diet and was brought a "double double". (Keep this in mind, as it may factor into the story later.)

So I go online this morning, to check my account balances, and that fucker charged me twice! Once for 45 dollars (the drinks) and another time for ninety-six dollars. I couldn't believe it, personally. So I called the restaurant, and a lovely manager tried to explain to me how a checking account works.

So I explained to him that he'll cancel the transaction or hand me the cost of my drinks/extra charge in cash. (And there may have been some profanity involved.)

But really, I find this to be symptom of my age. No one, and I mean no one, seems to think my money is worth anything. Better yet, they treat me like my money is just for playing around with, and that someone (I assume the mythical Daddy-with-the-credit-cards) will bail me out. I go into stores and they won't offer to help me. But when I buy something, they try and sell me on a credit card that I don't need or want, and certainly can't afford.

Same way with hotels. Do you have any idea how troublesome it is for me to put something on a room tab? You can see the fear in the bartender's eyes: "uhoh, am I going to get in trouble for charging it to the room? Will her parents be mad?" Yea, they might be...but they're not here.

When will my money matter?

Photo credit: NateandTiff.com

2 comments:

  1. whoa. I never do things like check my receipt and transactions...I never knew I could get screwed over so easily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I always check the receipt just to be sure...sometimes they accidentally double charge you for a drink and/or leave something (like a whole meal) off the ticket. That's just part of being honest, in my opinion.

    As for checking my checking balance (haha, follow that one), it all started when a buddy of mine who worked at a quick shop accidentally charged his customer 600.00 USD instead of 60.00. I realized that all it takes is one messed up key stroke to quickly wind up in a black pit of overdraft fees.

    *shudder*

    When you have no money, you like to know where it is and where it's going.

    ReplyDelete