Friday, July 2, 2010

Finding Motivation.

I needed some convincing to feel motivated today. I walked approximately 6 miles yesterday - in less than supportive shoes - and my feet were tired, I had had a beer with lunch and wasn't sure that working out would sit well and I could always do it later. Now, I knew I wasn't going to do it later, because I fully intend to have cocktails with dinner tonight and the only people I know who work out with a buzz are certifiable.

So, taking a page from Angela over at OhSheGlows, I did some things to feel more motivated:
  • First, I put on my workout clothes and unloaded the dishwasher/worked on my paper until I felt stupid sitting around in workout and not running.
  • Then, I promised myself that I would only have to do 5 minutes of cardio if I really wanted to.
  • Finally, I thought about how good it would feel to get to have a rum and diet tonight...without the guilt associated from skipping a work out.
While most of those tips are taken from this wonderful post by Angela, I do have some motivating factors of my own.

Number one: GUILT. That's right, I know, we're not supposed to use guilt as some sort of sick, self-loathing factor in getting off the couch...but I'm Catholic and guilt is what I know works.

Because I always feel self-conscious at the gym, I make sure that my gym clothes are flattering and make me feel well, good-looking. This ensures that I can focus on the work out and how I feel as opposed to how my gut looks.

Finally, I look for the entertainment value. The older women striving desperately for some unattainable goal, the meat heads trying to score and the people who show up wearing make-up. What can I say, I'm a people watcher.

Anecdote Time!
A woman at the gym today said to me: "It's a good thing you're starting on maintenance now, you'll never get that body back after you have a baby."

...uh, thanks?

No comments:

Post a Comment