Sunday, June 20, 2010

Dorm Egg Salad

When I'm not kicking (academic) ass, I work in a very large dorm cafeteria. If I didn't work there (and if I had a meal plan), I might even find the food options attractive. Alas! Those days have come and gone and I can easily work a 12 hours shift and find nothing even remotely appetizing.

But I gotta eat, so when a coworker/RA-with-Unlimited-Meal-Plan offered to "swipe me in" for dinner, I decided that eating for free sounded like a good idea. My options looked bleak, so I decided to get creative.
Into the crappy plastic salad bowl went:
-two hard boiled eggs (cut into 1/4'd wedges)
-1 tablespoon mayonnaise
-1 teaspoon mustard (or more to taste)
-Salt/Pepper/Sriracha to taste.

Then you smoosh it all up in your salad bowl and eat with some pita triangles. High-ho, deliciousness. And if you're at all concerned about nutritional information, here it is:

Nutrition Facts

1 Serving

Amount Per Serving
Calories 253.3
Total Fat 20.8 g

Saturated Fat 4.8 g

Polyunsaturated Fat 1.4 g

Monounsaturated Fat 4.2 g
Cholesterol 427.8 mg
Sodium 310.0 mg
Potassium 134.9 mg
Total Carbohydrate 2.5 g

Dietary Fiber 0.2 g

Sugars 1.0 g
Protein 12.9 g




*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.



If you're concerned about fat and/or general caloric intake, you could easily sub in "salad dressing" (aka Miracle Whip) or opt for fat free mayo. Or, skip it all together and use more mustard with a little bit of lemon or vinegar for bite.

Even better than the nutritive options is the price point! For me, it was free, but if you were going to make this at home, it would be ridiculously cheap:

Two eggs: roughly 32 cents
Mayonnaise: can be as cheap as 9 cents
Mustard: approximately 3 cents used
Sriracha: 29 cents an ounce.

All in all, this meal would have cost me about 60 cents.

Not bad, I don't think.

2 comments:

  1. Your posts are so interesting!
    Can I ask where you're going to college?
    When I had a meal plan (fresh yr) I would usually just hit up the salad bar and the cereal section. I got so tired of the warm food they had...it never really set well with me. I obviously preferred more of the "do it yourself" options.
    Anyway, I would always admire the students working in the dining hall. It looked like such hard work, and I'd assume that they're get turned off by all the food they were serving, etc.
    Haha...good ol' dorm days.

    floey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I go to the University of Michigan, and I am a 30 hour a week dining hall employee.

    And I love people who love dining employees.

    The hard part for me (in terms of eating dorm food), is that, after awhile, the stuff I'm looking at is really...just...stuff.

    When soup is made in increments of 100 gallons, it's hard to want to eat it.

    So I get creative.

    ReplyDelete