Thursday, June 24, 2010

Working it out.

Last night, for the first time in forever, I got my daily dose of cardio...indoors. Typically, I'm a walker; this, combined with working in a highly physical environment means that I almost never see the need to hit up the gym. But there's one in the building so I cleaned and strapped on my trusty gym shoes. And got in some elliptical action.

I'm not going to lie, working out at night was a little weird, and I'm not sure how to feel about pounding the low-impact pavement after eating a full meal. But I did my cardio and worked on my shoulders and arms and then went to bed, fully intending to get up and try a morning work out.

That didn't exactly happen. My shoulders were sore and I had a bunch of cleaning to do. So, taking a page from NPR, I decided to turn my cleaning into a workout. The story "Hotel Maids Challenge the Placebo Effect" tells the tale of two groups of maids -- one who was informed of their caloric output on any given shift, and one who wasn't. Surprisingly to researchers, the group that was told of their physical activity actually lost weight, had a drop in blood pressure, BMI and waist-to-hip ratio.

With that in mind, I hit the cleaning like I hit the elliptical last night. While not as taxing, I definitely felt like I was getting more exercise than I would just cleaning mindlessly. But all cleaning aside (still have laundry and a bathroom to do), I also set up my beautification station for all the pre-wedding prep you could ever want.That's right, Walgreen's sells 5-blade disposable razors - perfect for getting yourself swimsuit ready. Which is absolutely terrifying. Let me tell you: I prefer to keep it au natural downstairs (one part laziness, one part pathological fear of ingrowns, infection and hot dripping wax), but when you're headed out to be surrounded by a bunch of judgey people in swimsuits, its best to make some effort to keep up appearances. And if you're going to do it, you may as well practice a little blade overkill.

Anyways, so I'm currently in the process of beautifying my (terrifying) feet. This entails sanding them down with that there belt sander on a pink handle (oh so feminine), soaking them in a tub full of hot water and Old Spice body wash (because my brother is the man your man could smell like), slathering on that foot creme (guaranteed to hydrate your feet to a room temperature melting point), and putting on socks. The socks have been on for a few hours now...but they're going to have to come off when I bathe.

Yes, Ma, I already "fixed" my eyebrows, don't worry.

I will then paint my little tootsies a tasteful, yet sufficiently young, bronze-y neutral. I haven't yet decided if I'm going to actually paint my nails, or if I'd rather just use that fancy nail rubix cube to burnish them to a classy shine.

Either way, I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment